Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Berman Bashing

Why was Chris Berman involved in last night's Home Run Derby? He is now considered a football guy, which he repeatedly reminded everyone last night, and it seems that most people believe that Berman's shtick is old. I can deal with it during football season because I just want to see football but last night I was reminded why I hate Chris Berman. Here are some highlights of Chris Berman last night.


"I mean I went to Brown, but I'll give this one to Yale."
Berman was quick to remind us of his Ivy League education. Oh thanks Chris you aren't pretentious.

"He turned that G Series into a C(Z?) Series!!"
Several home runs hit the Gatorade sign that said G series and every time Berman, or another member of the crew, would reference it becoming a C or Z series. Maybe it's C because the little line on the G was knocked off. I don't know why it would be Z series. Either way this reference made no sense.

"Back, Back, Back, Back, Back,Back, Back......GONE!!"
This is the moment I was reminded why I hate Berman. ESPN is full of catchphrases and fun. I understand that and a lot of times I enjoy it. I know for the last decade Berman's been doing the "Back, Back..." bit, it needs to end. Keep it fresh Berman. We get the "Back, Back's", the "whoops!" during highlights, and the nicknames, Curtis "My favorite" Martin, but give us something new. Berman I know you are almost 60, you've been at ESPN a long time and you are reaching the end of your career, but could you please try to keep it fresh.

"Only time for two backs on that one."
The joke then became that he could only get two backs out on the line drive home runs. Somehow this was more annoying than the multiple backs.

"That one didn't go the way the Prince wanted. That's the Raspberry Beret variety."
This happened when Prince Fielder popped up and the ball didn't even reach the outfield. The reference here was to Prince(the singer) and his song Raspberry Beret. The implication being that it was a disappointment. The song is about Prince meeting an attractive girl, in a raspberry colored beret, and then hooking up with her. That seems to be more of a home run (pun intended). Also, the song reached #2 on the Billboard charts, which, one would assume, is not a disappointment even for Prince. Berman you knew Prince Fielder was going to be in the Home Run contest and you knew he would have at least one disappointing at bat, you could have found the correct song reference before. I would have preferred "That one didn't go the way Prince wanted. That's a relationship with Apollonia variety."

"That ball was powdered!!"
I don't claim to watch a lot of baseball but I have never heard the phrase powdered in reference to the sport until last night. Several long home runs Berman would yell out that phrase. It's hard to know what that would even mean. Balls are not kept in powder, pitchers can't rub powder on the ball, there is no powder residue from the bat, what do you mean Chris Berman?

We will begin to see Chris Berman weekly in just a few weeks. The lockout seems to be ending soon so we will have a football season and see a lot of Berman. This year instead of being reminded why I hate Berman in September, ESPN chose to remind me in July. Thanks for the heads up ESPN.

No comments:

Post a Comment