Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day Game (Ah-ah-AHHHHH)

If you were watching television today at 12 o'clock ET and decided to stop on the LA Angels' game against the Cleveland Indians you would have seen Ervin Santana of the Angels pitch a no-hitter. That means for those of you that are Angels fans in California the game would have started at 9 am this morning. I missed the game, not because I have no interest in watching this game (but that is actually the case), but because I have things to do in the middle of the day.



During the week, in the middle of the day, there are baseball games going on. All of the other major sports, football, basketball, and hockey, play their games at night during the week, but baseball teams often play games in the middle of the day. This has everything to do with playing 162 games in the regular season and having very little room for travel days. Day games are typically at the end of the three or four game series and allow for teams to travel earlier in the day. To baseball fans and players day games are just a part of the sport and I am not complaining about them. I just think that it is odd.

There was a no-hitter pitched today where a run was actually scored, the first time that's happened since 1993. There are other times when some of the best teams in baseball play against each other in the middle of the day on Tuesday. Can you imagine Kobe and the Lakers playing in the middle of the day? What about the Indianapolis Colts? It just doesn't make sense in other sports. We are accustomed to coming home after work or class and at the end of the day cutting on basketball and not having highlights from the Blazers-Pacers match-up from earlier in the day.

Each sport has their own nuances. One of baseballs is that they play day games and I like that baseball has them. If I am ever retired I'll watch a lot of day baseball during the season but right now I'll continue to miss good baseball played at 12 and be happy that Blake Griffin plays at night when I can watch him.

Thank you for your continued support of The Sports Party. Once again I am throwing out a cover from the A.V. Club's Undercover series.

No comments:

Post a Comment