Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Dog Days of Summer

I dread the NBA Finals. OK, I actually love the NBA Finals I just dread when the Finals are over. College football starts the first weekend in September and we, as sports fan, are treated to constant barrage of sports until the end of the NBA Finals in June. That's 10 months of constant sport action. There is baseball to watch during the summer but with the season as long as it is there doesn't seem much reason to worry about baseball games in the middle of July.

Last summer we were treated to a sports spectacle that would dominate summer sports schedule. The summer of 2010 was all about the World Cup in South Africa. The two month off-season didn't seem so long when there was great soccer being played for a month of the summer. This summer we got a touch of it with the US women's team also competing in the World Cup but it has still been a long summer.

I haven't seen a college football game since the beginning of January. The Super Bowl feels almost stale because the league went into a lockout shortly after and those story lines have dominated football coverage, not the chances of a Green Bay repeat. It seems that the NFL lockout will end very soon, possible even tonight or tomorrow and college football practice start at the beginning of August. We are at the cusp of the sports season again. We get the beginning of college football and the NFL, then we go into the MLB playoffs, the NBA starts, then college basketball starts, next we have the bowl games and the NFL playoffs, the NBA All-Star weekend is after that, then March Madness, next the NBA and Stanley Cup playoffs, and then we are back to the summertime abyss.

Let's join together and get through this next month and a half. I'm getting antsy and talking way to much about recruiting. I know there are CFL, the Canadian Football League, games on espn3 and I will admit freely that I have watched some, but it isn't the same. So support your fellow sports fan in this trying time and let's all make it to football season in one piece. Then I promise you won't have to worry about me again until June.

No comments:

Post a Comment