Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Putting Sports in Perspective

I sat down at my computer to write today and started several different articles. None of them felt right and nothing was working. This morning in class, I got a text that a close friend's mother passed away this morning. I won't go into details but all day I have had my friend on my mind.

In my post Monday I wrote "Sports are just sports, a temporary escape from reality," and now, more than ever, that's exactly what we use sports for. If given the choice of what to talk about most of us would choose the NFL season rather than discuss how we would fix the economy. The two top stories on Google News right now are the bombing today in India and that the police found the dismembered body of a missing boy. The two top stories on ESPN are that the US Women are going to be playing in the World Cup Final and that James Harrison said mean things about Roger Goodell and Ben Roethlisberger. The two stories on ESPN are what must of us are going to read but sometimes we need to stop and remember there is another world out there. There was a lot said about Derek Jeter missing the All-Star game but will there be as much said over the next few days about the bombing in India?  

This is what I want to do. I want to write and talk about sports so I know that I am guilty of making sports too important. In just a few weeks, I will throw myself into this College Football season and push some important things out of the way, as will most Americans. In some part of the world there will be a bombing or a tragedy take place. It will be reported here and we will see it and feel bad about it but it will soon be forgotten as we make room for the next game. Sometimes we need to be reminded sports are not life and death. They aren't war. There will be a next season. We will see our teams play again. As a country we might have lost perspective a little bit. We need those moments that help us put our lives back in the order they should be. We need to be reminded what should be first and then where sports needs to fall. Most of the time those two things won't be anywhere close. 

No comments:

Post a Comment