On Tuesdays I take a look back at some of my favorite sports moments and today's "Throwback Tuesday" (this really needs a better title) I am going to look back at May 31, 2007 when Lebron James dropped 48 points, including 29 of his teams last 30, 9 rebounds and 7 assists against the Detroit Pistons. Lebron actually scored the last 25 points for his team in an amazing performance that will go down as a historic moment in Lebron's career.
The 2006-2007 NBA season was a solid year for Lebron James and the Cavaliers, as they finished with 50 wins which was good enough for the second seed in the playoffs. The first two rounds of the playoffs were solid for Lebron but not remarkable, the Cavs swept the Washington Wizards and beat the New Jersey Nets 4-2 in the second round. In the Eastern Conference Finals Lebron James and the Cavaliers were down 0-2 to the Detroit Pistons before winning Games 3 and 4 in Cleveland to even up the series.
Game 5 was hotly contested throughout but midway through the 4th quarter the Detroit Pistons would take a 5 point lead. From that point on Lebron James played out his mind. He took everyone from Detroit to the basket and dunked on them. He pulled up for threes and deep twos and drained them over multiple defenders. I think it needs to be repeated that Lebron scored his teams last 25 points. That is all the Cavaliers' points for two overtimes and seven points in the 4th quarter. Looking back from how we see Lebron now we would want to paint him as selfish or a ball hog and that's why no one else was scored but that wasn't the case. 2007 Lebron was still being bashed in the press for passing the ball in big moments. In this game Lebron wasn't trying to prove those doubters wrong he was just his teams best option to win the game.
I remember watching Game 5 distinctly because I helped ruin the evening for a group of girls. I was with two buddies and we were going to meet up with some girls and go out for the night. The plan was to start the night at one of their houses and go out from there. My friends and I had a few minutes so we cut the game on. Well we didn't end up going out anywhere. We kept delaying the evening to watch Lebron take over Game 5. I was fine with it as I probably got to watch one of the greatest playoff performances of all time. I would like to publicly apologize to those girls for ruining their evening but I don't feel bad about it.
This is the best video I could find of the game that night. Didn't we already have High-Def televisions? Why is everything so grainy? 2007 television production seems like its the same as the 90s. HD television has spoiled me.
The site went through a redesign. I hope you guys like it and it makes the site easier to read. I'm sure the light blue titles and the orange background were easy on the eyes. I would also like to thank Emily for the header that she made for the site. Check her out at her blog http://theprettysimplelife.blogspot.com/. Thanks for your continued of The Sports Party.
No comments:
Post a Comment