Monday, July 18, 2011

World Cup Final Diary

In my excitement for the Women's World Cup Final on Sunday I decided to keep a diary during the game. Good game with a disappointing ending but the US team had a great run during this World Cup. 

2:00 p.m. ET – United States and Japan are playing today in the Women's World Cup Final. The US team has had an incredible run, most notably an amazing match in the semifinals against Brazil. Japan has the weight of their country heading into this World Cup Final. There was an earthquake that struck Japan on March 11 of this year. In the wake of the earthquake the country also had a nuclear emergency that the Japanese government would compare to Chernobyl. There were around 20,000 people reported missing or dead and the economy and political structures have struggled in the months since the earthquake. Before every match in this World Cup the Japanese team has carried a sign that says “To Our Friends Around the World, Thank You for Your Support”. This tragedy has clearly been a catalyst for the Japanese teams play as they were not expected to even get close to the World Cup Final, but here they are and they have a chance to win the World Cup.



2:05 – There was just a report on the head coach of the US women’s team, Pia Sundhage, playing the guitar and singing on a Swedish television show. I want this to happen with American coaches in other sports. Phil Jackson in a poetry slam, Bill Belichick singing on American Idol, or Ozzie Guillen hosting a late night talk show. I want to see our coaches on television making fools of themselves. We are way too self-aware in the United States.

2:19 p.m. – My dad just went and got wings so my journal takes a break before it even gets started. There is nothing like eating hot wings to support America.

2:20 p.m. – I would listen to Ian Darke do play-by-play for any sport. Could we get him to try football or basketball? I would watch Big East football if I knew he was going to be covering it. Let’s make it happen ESPN!

2:31 – The wings weren’t good. I hope this isn’t a sign of the afternoon to come.

2:34 – I like that Martin Sheen separated himself enough from his son that he can still narrorate the pre-game package. I just realized I never heard anything from Martin during the Charlie Sheen fiasco from a few months ago. Dad of the Year?

2:38 – I always like to look at the story lines of the game and think of them as a movie. If someone was writing the Women’s World Cup movie, Japan would win. The earthquake in March and losing to America three times since March 2, 2011 would be the first half of the movie. The second half would begin with the coach quitting after his players came out to practice with a defeated attitude. The players would realize they need the coach after they lose to the worst team in the world. They go back to their coach and then there's a practice montage where they start working hard and then they play their first game as a team and everything clicks. They starting winning until the reach the World Cup Finals. If Japan pulls of this upset this movie will be made. 

2:46 – GAME ON!

2:46 – That was fast! It’s the first minute the US already has a good scoring chance.

2:51 – The touches for the US are sloppy so far. They need to keep possession and move the ball around.

2:54 – Great move on the sideline Rapinoe and another great US chance on goal.

2:55 – Wambach with a chance. It would be great for her to score today and cap off an amazing World Cup run with the Golden Boot, the award given to the player with the most goals during the tournament. She would win it over Marta, the villain of the US-Brazil game.

2:57 – The US with ANOTHER goal scoring chance on a nice volley from the top of the 18. While I was writing that Rapinoe has ANOTHER shot on goal that went wide. The US is possessing the ball a lot better now and the chances are showing it.

3:02 – The US is outplaying Japan early on. They are fighting for and winning most of the 50-50 balls and making the right passes. They look good in the first few minutes of this game.

3:05 – Right midfielder O’Reilly attacks every time she has the ball. She’s making the right moves and right passes. She is going to make something happen for the US today.

3:09 – Who’s heard the phrase “1999” more? The women’s national team or Prince?

3:12 – Japan with its first long possession in US territory. No shots on goal but the announcers are right US needs to score. You can't keep missing these opportunities you have to capitalize. 

3:14 – Wambach with a shot!!!!!!!! Something has to give soon right? Great shots and chances by the US that have to pay off sometime.

3:21 – I want to thank Rapinoe for being fun to watch and for having bleach blonde hair that makes her easy to find.

3:23 – Scary corner from Japan. The game is going well for them. The US could be up a couple goals but they haven't been able to put a goal in and Japan is starting to get chances. This is how upsets happen.

3:26 – The head referee has been smiling the entire day. She was smiling in the pre-game festivities and really seems to be enjoying being a part of the World Cup Final. I am guessing she’s Swedish.

3:29 – Great chance from Japan. That could have been a lot like the Marta PK moment from the Brazil game. The referee could have called that in Japan’s favor.

3:31 – Japan might have been intimidated by the US early on but not anymore. They are beginning to force the action and are close to scoring a goal. 

3:32 – The US might have caught a break with halftime, Japan was close to scoring there. The US seemed to dominate the majority of the half but near the end Japan began to make their own scoring chances. This will be an interesting second half with both teams playing their game.

3:46 – Second Half!! It is tough to see any athlete reach the biggest moment of their careers and not being able to continue playing. You have got to feel sorry for Lauren Cheney who had a great header that just went over the top post in the first half. Her sub is Alex Morgan has been an injection of energy for the US team and is a young player. This is a good opportunity for her and should be helpful in her progression for the next few years of international play.

3:50 – And the US with another shot off the post. Darke says “This is becoming a little bizarre”. I'm not sure I've heard bizarre used since the 90s. (How bizzare! How bizzare!)

3:52 – My mom just asked where this game was being played? I told her Frankfurt, Germany and she says “HOT DOG, GERMANY!!”

3:55 – I am starting to get nervous. The US has been incredibly unlucky so far and Japan is taking the momentum from the US.

3:59 – The US goal chances are becoming less frequent and haven't as good as the chances they were getting early on in this match. Momentum is moving slowly to the Japan side.

4:03 – The corners have not looked good for the US. They just had two in a row in and neither of them resulted in anything substantial on goal. The announcers are pointing out that they are now allowing Wambach to get near anything but this should allow for plenty of opportunities for the rest of the US players in the box. 

4:04 – An incorrect offsides by the referee which would have been a great goal scoring chance for Japan, a nice break for the United States.

4:05 – Wambach with another header on goal. The missed shots are getting a little ridiculous.

4:09 – Alex Morgan with a beautiful goal!!!! Wow great shot and goal from Morgan. It seems she will be an important piece of the US women’s team going forward.

4:10 – In the crowd shot a young boy lifted his shirt in celebration. If someone hasn’t watched women’s soccer since 1999 they would assume this is the celebration for all women’s goals.



4:21 – Japan with a goal. Breakdown on defense with a poor clear, Japan continued to play hard and it paid off.

4:23 – Japan is fighting hard for another goal. Two more quick goal scoring chances after their first one.

4:24 – Remember my movie script theory? It feels like the music changed a few minutes ago and the momentum is moved to the underdog.

4:27 – I’ve spent a lot of time forgetting about my computer in the second half. Good sport moments suck you in like nothing else.

4:31 – US with a late goal scoring opportunity and a corner kick as extra time starts.

4:32 – I have really enjoyed O'Reilly this game. Great, aggressive play from her all day.

4:38 – 30 more minutes. It’s cliché but anything can happen in this 30 minutes. I don’t feel like the US has been dominant in the second half and Japan did not luck into taking this to extra time. I am not getting the same US vibe that I got from the Brazil or France game.

4:44 – We have a first card of the game, a yellow card, and I will say this seems to be a well officiated game. The Japanese fans will point to the offsides that should not have been called but other than that a well officiated game.

4:48 – O'Reilly continues to be the most aggressive player for the US. The announcers just pointed that. Well-received praise.

4:51 – Wambach with another header in the World Cup!!!!!!!!!! Wambach’s headers are like Mike Vick on Madden 2004, unstoppable!!!!!



4:53 – Alex Morgan on the assist. This really is an exciting day for her and the future of the US Women’s soccer.

4:54 – 15 minutes left.  I expect a very aggressive Japanese attack. They will either score or the US will have favorable counters to try for another goal.

5:01 – The US defenders have played really well today except for two moments. The first goal and just now when two US defenders ran into each other that could have resulted in an equalizer for Japan.

5:05 – What a goal by Japan! I am sticking with my movie script theory and getting nervous.

5:08 – O'Reilly to Wambach and just over the post.

5:10 – Red card against Japan and a late set piece for the US!!

5:11 – Just missed on the free kick and this will be decided with a shootout.

5:12 – Japan has played very well to get to this point. Obviously they would want to finish in regular time but it is coming down to five shots and Hope Solo seems to be hurt. This really seems to be in favor of the Japanese.

5:12 – ESPN had a shot of the Japanese coach just smiling at his team. He is at least relaxed for this moment. I think that bodes well for his team.

5:16 – The first US PK is stopped by the Japanese goalie. It just caught the back of her foot.

5:17 – Japanese goal, they led 1-0

5:18 – US imploding with a shot over the crossbar.

5:18 – Solo with a save. The US absolutely needed that but are still in trouble. US still down 1-0.

5:19 – Another miss by the US. Weakly struck ball and the goalie had no trouble with the shot.

5:20 – Japan scores again and Hope Solo just got a hand on the ball but it still trickles into the goal. Japan up 2-0.

5:20 – Wambach with a goal. She’s been huge in this World Cup and should be celebrated, no matter the outcome. Japan 2-1.

5:21 – Japan wins in penalty kicks. I am sticking to my movie script theory. The Japanese equivalent of Disney will be making a movie in the next five years.

5:25 – Very interesting World Cup for the US. I think Americans were invested in the last few weeks and it will continue to be a part of our culture. This was a fun team, they had a great tournament. They lost but I think this is still an important tournament for US soccer and women’s soccer going forward. 

I want the comments to start being a place for discussion between the few readers that come to the site. Here's the question for today: Are we close to the tipping point where soccer becomes one of the top three or four sports in America? Is it already?

2 comments:

  1. WOW is all I can really say about this entire World Cup. You know me, a huge soccer person. My answer to the question is that I do NOT think soccer is one of the top sports in America, yet. This World Cup will definitely help soccer start to climb to a spot that it will eventually be at. I have already seen more soccer games being broadcasted on television. I definitely think that it being the Women's World Cup has also made a difference. I did a lot of research for a history class this past school year so I quickly learned that soccer, among more individuals than you think, has been thought to be more of a "feminine sport" opposed to football, baseball, and basketball. I feel as though soccer will climb to being in the top 4 sports in America, but that it will never be more popular than other 'masculine' sports. I mean, after all, it is an international game. And honestly, I feel like some of the sports commentators don't really "understand" the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't really comment on your saying that most people believe soccer is a "feminine sport" in comparison to football, baseball and basketball but I know the country was excited to see the Men's team play in last year's World Cup as well. The Men's game versus Ghana last year had 14.9 million viewers in the US while the Women's Final this year had 13.5 million viewers. That's more than watched the All-Star game this year or that watched the Stanley Cup Finals, despite those events happening in prime time during the weekday, while those two World Cup games happened on afternoons during the weekend. People in America are interested in both men's and women's soccer, at least on the international level, and you are right soccer will eventually be a big four sport here in America.

    ReplyDelete