Monday, March 26, 2012

Old Man Basketball Journal, Week Two

I read somewhere that the chance of success goes up significantly (read: I can't remember the number and don't feel like making one up but remember I was impressed by the percentage stated). In an effort to increase my chances of succeeding at basketball (or becoming an old man) I will chronicle the events that took place on a basketball court every Monday night. Some people do Lent journals or track their progress in the weight room, running, or whatever habbit they have adopted. I will show the unexpected stories and life lessons learned from the perspective of a former scholarship athlete who is now woefully out of shape

After the physical diaster of last week, I was feeling some butterflies in my stomach when driving to the gym this week. I did have an advantage as compared to week one: I was not on a 104 week lay off.

I got there and shot around while the first game was playing. It went into "overtime" which means the teams were so full of fat men that neither could get the necessary point advantage to win the game. Eventually the organizer claimed the next point would win. The good news was I had plenty of time to shoot on the side baskets. The bad news was I did not get any better at shooting with the extra time. After a series of back rim misses and a handful of close range swishes I took a three ball. It was the similar result to last week's three point attempt. #airball I stopped shooting and waited for my turn.

The first game went well. By well, I mean I did not feel the desire to throw up. I paced myself up and down the court. Rather than taking long full strides that eat up energy like YouTube eats up mobile phone bandwith, I took short choppy steps and miandered down the court like I was an old man who had bad knees. I even threw in a fake limp here and there so I could fit in better.

The first possession of the game I went to the left block. During my shoot around I practiced some low post footwork. I am typically pretty good in the post. I can drop step and square up. I have trouble with the quickest moves that go across the lane or that quick jump step that is really a travel. Either way, I caught the ball expecting to use a little shimmy left then turn back to the right. The left step was fine, but the step back right was a diaster. I planted and my heel slipped. I lost my balance and leaned heavily on the defender who signaled for a travel and I threw the ball to the guard on the wing.

The floor was really dusty. I have no idea how these guys didn't hurt themselves. People were slipping the first two games before they mopped the playing service. I was expecting a myriad of pulled groins and hernias. Can a guy get a hernia from slipping on a basketball floor? I know old guys get hernias all the time, this has to be a way they do it.

We lost the game. I went on a three shot score streak towards the end of the game. I found my mid range jump shot, started posting at the elbow. The guards would run screens off the top or back cut. I'd turn and shoot or get my guy to commit one way and take him to the hole for a lay up on the other. Plus, these guys love to run around and cut. Whenever I played pick up ball, mostly the guy who dribbled it down shot it or made one pass and that guy shot it. Now that I think about it, no wonder I was exhausted the first week. These old men never stop moving!

The second game I felt more confident so I popped out onto the wing. There was a pregnant polevaulter's success chance that I would shoot the ball. I passed after feigning a drive and repositioned my self on the low block. Several trips down the court I caught the ball in the post, not fumbling it, I might add. That was a big improvement from week one. I'd pass out or turn and shoot. I was knocking down baseline jumpers and went strong with the left hand on a drop step.

The second game was closer and we led for most of it. However towards the end of the game the other team went on a barrage of three bombs and took the lead. They ended up winning by 4. Yet, my offensive game was complete when popped out to the wing, looked the defended dead in the eye and pulled the trigger. #swish There was no serious thought that it would go in, but I had missed so badly on the previous three point attempts that I figured the law of averages had to be on my side.

The defensive game couldn't be better. Well, I could be able to rise up higher on rebounds, but I have blocked someone every game. Twice I have thrown it off the back wall. I'm beginning to think these old men have not played with a shot block recently. They body the defender all the way to the lane and throw up a guarded lay up. I don't let them get a body. Usually I let them past me or come from the help side then jump up and smack the ball. Next week I'll just catch it.

But my absolute favorite this week was a guy who went up for a fast break lay up, and I tracked him down. He released the ball low and in front of him, so I had to wait until it got hire up on the glass. Unfortunately it hit the backboard low and on the way up. Nonetheless, I picked it off the side of the square and threw it backwards. They called goaltending, but sometimes in a pick up game it's good for the opponents to know what they can and cannot do.

Lessons learned this week: The high post offense works, my defense is sound, and I still haven't hit the rim on a three point attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment