Highlights
Mitch- My highlight for the weekend was watching a miler on my track team PR and rank in the top three in the nation in the mile. But in regards to the NCAAT my biggest highlight was wathcing Shaka Smart lose. There are three kinds of winners: Those who love to win, those who hate to lose, and those who take joy in watching others lose. While not entirely sure where I fall on this spectrum in general, I loved watching Smart lose. I don't like his schtick. I don't like his height. I don't like his clothes or how tight everything fits. Maybe he had a great run last year and this year his team made it through the first round, but something about him screams "phony!" I get the same feeling about him that I do about Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer, Gene Chizick, and that guy who made the KONY 2012 video. It's the exact opposite feeling I get about Nick Saban. It's weird, each seems like a giant a-hole, but only one seems like a giant a-hole who wins without gimmicks.
Pat- The battle between the ‘Noles and Bearcats was a great one. And here’s my proclamation: It was EXACTLY WHAT WAS EXPECTED. Did you watch Cincinnati play on Friday? This team might be the least talented team left, other than Ohio and Xavier, but they have a much better chance in beating Ohio State this weekend than Louisville does Michigan State, for comparison’s sake. And here’s why…they have heart. A lot of it.
Yancy Gates will disappear after this year. He may have a 4-year NBA career that ends poorly, but he’s probably the most valuable player left in the tournament not on an AP All-American team. The difference between Cincinatti and Florida State in the game Sunday wasn’t talent, because FSU gets the nod on a team and individual level with Michael Snear. Defense AND offense goes to FSU. Defense is obvious if you’ve ever heard the name Leonard Hamilton (which is why I check his name over Mick Cronin for Cincinnati in the head-coaching category) and the Seminole offense is good too, though the second fiddle on the team. Well, for all the FSU fans out there, sorry but heart is a pretty big factor in March and the reason why I’m worried about my expressionless-Heels, right now.
After the infamous battle against cross-town rival Xavier, the Bearcats went (10-1) before dropping three straight and then going (9-2) beating the 1-loss Cuse in the Big East Tournament. Looks to me like this team plays really tough when they care a little more. Maybe that’s really optimistic in search of this team’s success, but compare that to Xavier going (1-5) and dropping nearly every other game all the way to the tournament. Also, Xavier who plays in the Atlantic-10 won by 23 against the Bearcats, who play in the Big East, that day, December 10th. Again, it’s worth noting Xavier made it through the week too, but they had some help from Lehigh. The bottom line that exists in the match-up between FSU and Cinci is, whoever wants it more in March, takes it usually. What a great, physical, grinding game
Chris- My favorite game of the weekend wasn't either of the 15 seeds beating 2 seeds, though those were fun to watch. No it was the game between 6th seeded Murray State and 3rd seed Marquette. These were two evenly matched teams that both came to play ball Saturday night. They played a similar style and neither team dominated up until the last few minutes where Marquette played nearly perfect basketball down the stretch to beat a very good Murray State team. I'm not sure if many people tuned in for this game or if it will talked about as one of the best games of the tournament but it was my favorite game of the tournament so far.
Lowlights(?)
Mitch- My biggest disappointment this tournament was FSU's loss. I know Coach Ham said he wasn't, but I am. I loved that we won our conference, but I wanted a run in the tourney. I wanted to see this team reach its potential; a potential that I thought included an Elite 8 bid. Certainly our guys did not play their best game and allowed a smaller team get the best of them. Michael Snaer hit big threes but took a while to slash to the lane, something he was devastatingly good at during the ACCT. Ian Miller was not #coldblooded enough to my chagrin. I am sad we lost and will be pissed whenever I watch a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 game.
Chris- Will I slam refs for their bad calls at bad times? Nope. Will I slam all of us for always blaming the refs for their bad calls? Probably on a latter date. What I will complain about is the late games on Thursday and Sunday night. The last game on Thursday night started at 10:32 pm Eastern time. Friday night it doesn't really matter what time the late game ends you can sleep in the next morning. Same for Saturday night. But on Sunday the last game of the day 9:54 pm Eastern time. Think if on Sunday night you are a 12 year old who loves to watch the Seminoles play and the game starts too late for you to watch. Or the reporter who has to a tight deadline (boo hoo, right?) Or anyone who loves good, college basketball but also has to work in the morning. They missed an amazing game that didn't have to start so late. Schedule makers you can tighten up these games on Thursday and Sunday nights and give people with lives the next morning a chance to watch fun, Tournament basketball.
If you have your own highlight or lowlight from this weekend throw it down in the comments section.
No comments:
Post a Comment