Chris Mitch Pat
1. Virginia Tech 1. Virginia Tech 1. Virginia Tech
2. Georgia Tech 2. Clemson 2. Georgia Tech
3. UVA 3. UVA 3. Clemson
4. Clemson 4. Georgia Tech 4. UVA
5. Florida State 5. Wake Forest 5. Florida State
6. Wake Forest 6. Florida State 6. Wake Forest
7. NC State 7. Miami 7. NC State
8. Miami 8. NC State 8. Miami
9. Boston College 9. UNC 9. UNC
10. UNC 10. Duke 10. Duke
11. Duke 11. Boston College 11. Boston College
12. Maryland 12. Maryland 12. Maryland
Power Rankings
*-Bowl Eligible
#-Atlantic Division Champion
1. Virginia Tech (LW 1)(10-1)*
Chris: HOKIE, HOKIE, HOKIE, HIG....Well maybe low after last Thursday night. Virginia Tech did not play their best football of the season and won despite that. The offense played poorly as they have been prone to do this season and that's the fear with this team going into their last game against UVA. If Virginia Tech's offense does not show up this weekend this game will be tough and potentially a lose. If Virginia Tech plays like they did against Georgia Tech they should win and win handily, but if Virginia Tech plays like they did against UNC, Duke or Boston College and this game could be an L. There's a lot riding on this game for both programs and how the next few seasons could shape up for both.
Mitch: The only one loss team so they have to be at the top. I'm not knocking them when I say this, but their schedule is not as difficult as it has been in recent years, nor as difficult as other teams in the conference. However, they have won every game but one and when that game is played again (I'm referring to Clemson/Virginia Tech (Editor's note: Virginia Tech has to beat UVA this weekend for this to happen.)) They will win. Thomas is the key to keeping pressure off of Wilson. They compliment one another well.
2. Georgia Tech (LW 4)(8-3)*
Mitch: Just chugging along with the triple option looking to be a good team and play in a crappy bowl. But who says fan bases and monetary power aren't part of what makes a program valuable.
Pat: Georgia Tech was challenged by the Blue Devils this weekend. It would seem the novelty offense is becoming stymied by its lack of dimension. But, the record-breaking offense is still pretty productive with 549 total yards on offense. It’s the defense that is having a few problems. Putting up 38 should be enough to beat a Duke team averaging just over 20 points a game. But, the Devils crawled back in with a couple nice breaks. Overall, the Jackets are a champion of circumstance, as they move up the polls in a week that their luster didn’t shine as bright.
3. Clemson (LW 2)(9-2)*#
Pat: Well, it is now safe to say something is growing more-and-more rotten with each passing week in Clemson. Of course, they did lose a star in Sammy Watkins which could definitely handicap an offense so reliant on the talents of Watkins, but I’m eager to see how the Tigers bounce back from losing two of their last three. Since the loss to Georgia Tech, they just seem flat. Tajh Boyd has only thrown nince interceptions this season and seven of them have come in the last three games. Any ideas he may have had for a Heisman candidacy were ruined with Georgia Tech. But, the season isn’t over (well, maybe it is after losing to NC State). The Tigers have the head to Columbia this weekend and if they can’t get it together, they’ll have lost three of four after starting out 8-0.
Mitch: Sure they lost, but they still are going to the ACC Championship game and are loaded with talent
4. UVA (LW 6)(8-3)*
Mitch: Good for Mike London. I love seeing coaches get their team ready and execute when the time comes. They keep plugging away and put themselves into a position to win and then they actually win. It's great to see a team not make a ton of mistakes or play themselves out of a ball game. In other news, I hope London gets a job in the Pac-12.
Pat: Everyone that guessed this team had the potential to be 8-3 at the beginning of the season raise your hand…Why am I the only one with my hand raised? No, seriously, though I thought this team would exceed expectations this year, but I never thought they would be 8-3 and competing this weekend for sole possession of the Coastal Division. They’re playing great lately, and have a lot to be proud of as they host the Hokies in Charlottesville this coming weekend. I am going out on a wing, basing my opinion solely on the mood of college football this year, which I rarely do…the Hokies get stunned this weekend and the Cavaliers play in the ACC Championship. If I’m wrong, so what. Who won’t be pulling for UVA this weekend? (Editor's note: ME!)
5. Florida State (LW 3)(7-4)*
Chris: I watched Florida State's game from this weekend from start to finish to see how much the UVA-Virginia Tech game would mean this coming up weekend. The thing I noticed about Florida State is that they don't seem to be as good as they were at the beginning of the season. That's a problem for this program. You always want to be improving and when you don't seem to be playing as well in game 11 as you were in game three, that comes down to coaching. I am not calling for Fisher's job nor should his job be in jeopardy, but this should be a cause for concern going into the future. You always want your program to be improving.
Mitch: [In lieu of writing something, I am not showing up like FSU's offense the whole game, FSU's defense the last drive, and Jimbo Fisher's in game management/adjustments... but hey, maybe if I could execute better it would be different]
6. Wake Forest (LW 5)(6-5)*
Pat: Well, a fairly average ACC season for the Deacons. They stand at 6-5 and have upset as many foes as they have been upset by. This weekend was no upset though. Everything went as planned for the Deacs’ this week hosting Maryland. Then again, how often does Maryland foil their adversaries’ plans? Wake will be in a fun match-up against a bottom tier SEC team. Which is the equivalent of a second tier ACC team, so…should be interesting.
Chris: Almost every week one of my co-contributors will leave a team's description blank and tell me they don't have anything to write about that team. It works out because we still have two other writer's that can cover that particular team. The way this week worked out I have to write something about Wake Forest and for the first time I've got nothing to say about them. They beat Maryland last weekend, as expected, and they will play Vanderbilt this weekend, giving Pat his interesting bowl match-up of Wake Forest playing a bottom teir SEC team a few weeks earlier.
7. NC State (LW 8)(6-5)
Chris: Who is this team? There is no one in the ACC, and possibly the country, that has been as up and down as NC State this season. Let's take a look back at NC State's last four game, shutout by Florida State 34-0, then they shutout UNC 13-0, the next week they lose to Boston College 14-10, and then beat Clemson 37-13. That definitely shows a lack of consistency from NC State the past few weeks. If NC State wins this weekend against Maryland they will bowl eligible. They have the six wins required but two of them came against 1-AA or FCS opponents and only won of those counts against their bowl eligible wins. So they need one more this weekend and I wouldn't dare predict an outcome for that game.
Mitch: I hope they lose to Maryland. I love seeing a muck-fest at the bottom of our conference. One time my friend tried to convince me that "parody" was good for the league. I don't believe that because parody travels under another name, "mediocrity". I like when two or three teams kick butt for decades.
8. Miami (LW 7)(6-5)* (Miami is bowl eligible but has decided to not play in a bowl this year because of the NCAA investigation into the program.)
Mitch: They are not going to a bowl, so they'll probably throttle Boston College because it'll be their last game. Or maybe they'll quit because Golden announced he is going to take the Penn State job. That'd be the straw that breaks the Miami back. They'd be down for years. I know it's a right move for the University to not accept the bid, but is it right for the players?
Pat: I am not impressed by the play of Miami over the weekend. This game wasn’t the defensive display like LSU-Alabama, more like an offensive fallacy. Yes, both teams were able to pick up yards and move the ball, just not efficiently enough to get within the red zone. At one point in the season, I was impressed by Miami’s offensive ability. Maybe they just didn’t show up for this one… Nevertheless, they walk out with a victory and are above .500 on the season.
9. UNC (LW Tied for 9th)(6-5)*
Pat: The Tarheels outplayed the Hokies for almost the entire game on Thursday night. Unfortunately, sometimes games don’t turn out the way they are played. A bad bounce, and a missed opportunity and you’re fighting for your life. However, the young quarterback Renner had a great day in a hostile environment that is, year-in and year-out, Lane Stadium. 224 yards, 1 TD and 0 INTs in Blacksburg isn’t too bad for a rookie. Too bad the Heels had to lose in a great battle.
Chris: Bryn Renner is a shining spot for this UNC team. In a season that will most likely be forgotten by many Tarheel fans in a few seasons, Renner has played well, especially on Thursday night against the Hokies. As a Virginia Tech fan I am not looking forward to seeing him three more times over his career.
10. Boston College/Duke (Boston College LW Tied for 9th/Duke LW 11)(Boston College 3-8/Duke 3-8)
Chris: Boston College goes down to Miami and I hope those guys get to spend some time down on the beach. I mean that because after this game they are going to have to go back up to Boston for the winter. It's going to be cold and it's going to be sad, especially after the season they just had. So get some time out on the beach Eagle players, it might be the last time you are warm until April.
Pat: I don’t know what I’m more surprised of? The fact that Boston College nearly beat a top-25 team, or the fact that Notre Dame is in the top-25? I know everyone responsible for putting college football together wants Notre Dame to be their old selves, but even standing at 8-3, I’d argue that it's too soon. However, they have had some success this season despite playing three ACC teams in three weeks…Could it be that ND is back? Damnit, I hope not…
Pat: I’m sure its getting tough for the Iron Duke faithful…all four of them. This Duke team is taking some hits every week. Every week they come in and play their hearts out just to give it up in the end. This week was no exception against the Jackets and with a few minutes left, Duke actually had a chance to beat the once upon a time, 6-0 Georgia Tech team. Oh well, wait until next weekend where you have a legitimate shot against the UNC rival in Chapel Hill. 4-8?
Chris: I was actively rooting for Duke to pull out this win against Georgia Tech on Saturday. This isn't those horrible Duke teams of a few seasons ago, these are actual teams. They play hard and play well but they are obviously under-skilled at several different positions. Duke's last game this season is against UNC and they could definitely pull out that win but if it happens this won't be the marquee win this program needs moving forward. Better luck next year Duke.
12. Maryland (LW 12)(2-9)
Mitch: I'm taking the over on their game with NC State. I think both offenses will score because both defenses aren't any good.
Pat: One more week and its basketball season with Coach Gary…Uh, urgh…6 more months and its baseball season with coach…
Agree? Disagree? Just want to join in on the witty banter? Join us in the comments section and tell us your thoughts. If you have questions or topics you want discussed on the Sports Party email us at thesportsparty@gmail.com. Thanks for your continued support of the Sports Party.

No comments:
Post a Comment