Chris Mitch Pat
1. Clemson 1. Clemson 1. Clemson
2. Georgia Tech 2. Georgia Tech 2. Florida State
3. Florida State 3. Florida State 3. Georgia Tech
4. UNC 4. Virginia Tech 4. UNC
5. Virginia Tech 5. Wake Forest 5. Virginia Tech
6. Wake Forest 6. Miami 6. Wake Forest
7. Miami 7. UNC 7. Miami
8. UVA 8. Duke 8. Maryland
9. Maryland 9. UVA 9. NC State
10. Duke 10. Maryland 10. UVA
11. NC State 11. NC State 11. Duke
12. Boston College 12. Boston College 12. Boston College
Power Rankings
1. Clemson (LW 1) (5-0)
Pat: Clemson is playing great early in the season. They’ve passed the toughest tests they will possibly face this season and passed both with great success. At home against Auburn and Florida State, and then at Virginia Tech is no easy task, even for a top SEC contender. The only challenge they’ll face heading into the remainder of the season is a back-to-back at home against UNC, then on the road against a thriving Georgia Tech team, three weeks prior to heading to Columbia, South Carolina to face the struggling Gamecocks. Unfortunately, (perhaps?) Dabo Sweeney is still in command so I don’t think they’ll go undefeated through the ACC this year, but even if they don’t, make sure you don’t put the blame on Dabo.
Mitch: I'm mot saying they are the best team but they haven't lost. I hate arguments like that but Tajh Body didn't exactly light the world on fire against Virginia Tech. The Hokies' offense was putrid so I give more credit to the Hokies for the win that I do the Tigers. Nonetheless, a win is a win is a win. Plus their skill players are outstanding.
Chris: Georgia Tech can be scored but, oh can they score on you. As of right now, this team is the best in Coastal Division and now has a two game lead on UNC and a game lead on Virginia Tech. Maryland could beat this team this weekend if they get their act together but I don't see it happening. Georgia Tech is on a roll.
Mitch: I don't see anyone stopping the Georgia Tech offense except themselves. If they get too cute or they try to pass it they can shoot themselves in the foot. So circle October 29 on the calender, Georgia Tech vs. Clemson. The Yellow Jackets will destroy, rip through and make the Clemson defense's ass quit.
3. Florida State (LW 4) (2-2)
Pat: Okay, so they’ve lost the last two games. Even so, they were playing against very tough competition. No sweat, how do you get back on a roll? Take a week off and then play Wake Forest, Duke, Maryland, NC State, and Boston College. By the time this cake-walk is over, everyone should be back to full health and their focus restored. Clint Tricket is still playing pretty well. And the defense will get their grip back. I really don’t expect this team to lose another game unless something goes horribly wrong. Oh well, too little, too late for the Seminoles.
Mitch: Still the most talented team with the best coaching (Editor's note: Frank Beamer is still in Blacksburg, right?) Hopefully the next five weeks equals making good changes and figuring out the offensive and linebacker issues. I hope we score more points that we've seen Florida State score since the early ACC days. Wake Forest, Duke, Maryland and NC State are up next. Take over each game and the opponent won't even score. Caution: Video game numbers ahead.
4. Virginia Tech (LW 3) (4-1)
Pat: Could it be that the Hokies miss Tyrod? That’s not too much of a surprise, considering he broke numbers of many’s favorite NFL fantasy pick, Michael Vick. But, I don’t think that’s the case. Yeah, the threat of Tyrod pulling the ball down and taking off for a quick first down makes you that much more versatile and I’m not sure the young QB, Logan Thomas, can handle that versatility yet. But, I’m really starting to become concerned that this team is lacking the usual Va. Tech talent. No, no, no, don’t get me wrong, they have great players (Have you seen Jayron Hosley play? I mean the kid could go pro tomorrow) that only Frank Beamer is capable of harnessing. But, this isn’t the first indication that the Hokies may be struggling this year. So you lost to Clemson? The world doesn’t come crashing down. But the numbers this team is putting up, along with a win margin not too indicative of the play-by-play results in games that are becoming more and more like 4th quarter comebacks aren’t a typical Virgina Tech, ACC hegemon style. Don’t worry about these guys, they’ll be okay. But, don’t expect this team to win the ACC this year. Too many better teams stand in the way of that.
5. UNC (LW 5) (4-1)
Chris: UNC just keeps winning and that's great for the program. With everything that has gone on in Chapel Hill I think 4-1 is a success at this point. UNC has Louisville this weekend and then it is conference play for the Tarheels the rest of the season. As a program they have possibly found their next head coach and are continuing to build after a tumultuous couple of years.
Pat: Anticipating this game Saturday, I was pretty nervous. I mean ECU took the Gamecocks and the Hokies to the brink by stretching out to an early lead. So, when deciding any key to the game for the Tarheels, it was clear they needed to get off the mark early and efficiently. And they did just that, 21-0 a fraction of the way into the second quarter. Having basic cable, I wasn’t able to watch the game and see Dwight Jones Top 10 one-handed touchdown grab. But thanks to the Bose radio app on my iPhone(Shout-out), I was able to catch Jones Angell’s interpretation of the stellar game for so many of the Tarheels: Bryn Renner, 13-20 230 yards, 4 TD-0 INT, Gio Bernard, 143 yards(many of which came early) and a TD, and Highsmith and Jones split 187 yards and 3 TDs. I like your style, Withers; the run game totally collapses against the Ga. Tech defense, so what do you do the next Saturday? Cram it down ECU’s throat with the run game. I like your style.
6. Wake Forest (LW Tied for 6th) (3-1)
Mitch: The Deacons have learned how to win and are disciplined, but seriously do you plan on blocking Bjorn Werner or avoid Christian Jones? Passing is their best option and I don't see them protecting their quarterback. Maybe just throw it up and hope for a pass interference penalty?....Too soon?
Pat: Buying into it yet? Chalk it up to a surprise caliber of on the field play? Don’t bet on that. More likely, the fortune of scheduling your own out-of-conference schedule and having Duke and Boston College first. Regardless of whom they are playing, I’d still put them in this slot. But this team won’t be so lucky to go head to head with teams like BC and Duke the next two weeks, they’ve got it tough and will feel the pressure against Fla St. and Va. Tech in the coming weeks. In conversation, my uncle mentioned something to me that I hadn’t really considered until then but I’m intrigued to agree somewhat. Minus Frank Beamer, how do you feel about this statement, “Wake Forest has the best coach in the ACC.” Thoughts? Only if you leave your W-L reservations at the door. Hell, he doesn’t have the fortune of coaching at a school like Florida State and picking up the talented riff-raff the Seminoles use on an annual basis. I love you Myron Rolle, but why didn’t you go to a college that would actually be challenging academically?
Mitch: This old Big East rivalry should be entertaining. I think Miami can stop the Virginia Tech offense fairly easily and score on the Hokie defense. I am picking the Canes.
Chris: I don't know who you are Miami. I didn't go back to check but I am pretty sure this is the same thing I said about them last week. They go to Blacksburg this weekend in a rivalry game that is always interesting. Obviously Virginia Tech and Miami both have question marks and it is really hard for me to make a prediction. This could possibly be the week we get answers about Miami and it could truly go either way.
8. UVA/Maryland (UVA LW 9/Maryland LW 8) (UVA 3-2/Maryland 2-2)
Chris: Virginia is starting to disappoint. They barely beat Indiana and Idaho and lost to Southern Mississippi. I thought we would see much more from this team at this point. I think they still have a good coach and their recruiting is improving but none of that will help this season.
Pat: Wow, you guys struggled with Idaho. Was that expected? You guys aren’t getting too comfortable with that middle-of-the-pack position are you? Do something about the wavering respect next week hosting Georgia Tech. Oh, and good luck!
Pat: It’s hard to gauge the actual skill of this team when all they’ve done this year is play at home, win against a defeated Miami squad and then get crushed by Temple. Two fun stats for analysis… Danny O’Brien has thrown fewer yards in each game and he’s now down to 123 yards against the skilled Towson backfield. Second stat, the young defending ACC Rookie of the Year has five interceptions to four touchdowns. But, what could possibly be the problem in College Park?
Chris: I got caught up in the hype of this Maryland team. I liked them at the end of last year and thought they would improve going into this year. Obviously not. I think Ralph Friedgen has a lot to do with this. Maryland finished 9-4 last season and then fired Friedgen. I know he wasn't successful the few years before that but he is a good coach. These players obviously aren't Edsall's yet and he should improve when he gets "his guys" in the system. This team should be better this season though.
10. Duke (LW 10) (3-2)
Mitch: The Devils have won three in a row and now have a bye week before the Noles. Good for them for winning. Bad for them for 14 days to prepare for another week of Florida State's, post-Clemson, conference game vengeance.
Chris: Duke was not favored to win against Florida International last weekend and that made me sad. Duke won though and that makes me happy! That loss to Richmond seems so long ago. Actually no it doesn't. Oh Duke that one still hurts me.
11. NC State (LW 11) (2-3)
Pat: Jesus guys. I know if I was desperate to keep my job and had a week to think about it, the first thing I’d do is come out on Saturday and fall right on my face. 21-0 going into the second quarter? Are you even trying? Oh yeah, you guys tried. Tried to comprise an insurmountable comeback that Elway couldn’t have put together. The fact remains though, that in my estimation people shouldn’t consider Russell Wilson’s departure as the problem. Not in the least. Mike Glennon’s season: 1242 yards, 12 TDs, 4 INTs, 155 QB rating. Yeah, he isn’t giving a defensive coordinator and middle linebacker a headache from running the ball 15 times a game, but I emphasize this... The Quarterback is NOT the issue.
12. Boston College (LW 12) (1-4)
Pat: 1-11, ‘nough said.
Chris: Yep, Pat said it all.
Agree? Disagree? Put it down in the comments section. If you have questions or comments you want us to discuss email us at thesportsparty@gmail.com. Thanks for your continued support of The Sports Party. Enjoy the weekend.
Pat: 1-11, ‘nough said.
Chris: Yep, Pat said it all.
Agree? Disagree? Put it down in the comments section. If you have questions or comments you want us to discuss email us at thesportsparty@gmail.com. Thanks for your continued support of The Sports Party. Enjoy the weekend.

Mitchs comment "the most talented team with the best coaches" was mistakenly put under the FSU section of this post.
ReplyDelete