Tuesday, October 18, 2011

ACC Power Rankings: Week 8

Welcome to the Week 8 power rankings. The ACC now has three teams that are bowl eligible, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech, and UNC is one win away. The ACC is beginning to separate itself into three tiers, the three top teams, four through nine and then the bottom three. Four through nine could somehow all switch places in the next few weeks. This makes it tough to rank them but makes for fun games in the conference. Today in the power rankings we learn a little bit about Boston College's statues, fun things Mitch's uncle says, Pat goes on an NC State rant and somehow Virginia loses a spot despite beating Georgia Tech. Enjoy the power ranking everyone. 


   Chris                                        Mitch                                    Pat
1. Clemson                               1. Clemson                           1. Clemson
2. Virginia Tech                         2. Virginia Tech                     2. Virginia Tech
3. Georgia Tech                        3. Georgia Tech                     3. Georgia Tech
4. Wake Forest                         4. FSU                                 4. Miami
5. FSU                                     5. Wake Forest                     5. UNC
6. Miami                                   6. UVA                                 6. Wake Forest
7. UVA                                     7. Miami                               7. UVA
8. UNC                                     8. UNC                                 8. FSU
9. Maryland                              9. Maryland                           9. Maryland
10. Duke                                10. Duke                               10. Duke
11. NC State                          11. Boston College                11. NC State
12. Boston College                 12. NC State                         12. Boston College


Power Rankings
1. Clemson (LW 1) (7-0)


Mitch: They have the horses to win this conference. Their offensive coordinator  has them hitting on all cylinders. In other news, Sammy Watkins has "jets up his butt" according to my uncle.


Chris: Obviously you could look at this game and pull out some issues for Clemson going forward but if I was a Clemson fan I would be very excited about what I saw on Saturday. Your team was down 18 points twice in that game and had to rally late to win the game and did so with an impressive offensive that made big play after a big play. Clemson should have never been in that position but this game just shows that Clemson will play hard and smart through 60 minutes, which cannot be said for other Clemson teams in the past. Clemson will be challenged again this season but they have shown they have the chops to play a tough game on the road and come out looking like the best team in the ACC. 


2. Virginia Tech (LW 4) (6-1)


Pat: Virginia Tech is a team that I still feel is tough to pinpoint as far as the overall caliber of their squad. They can play great and then the next week, not so much. The key to this team however, is that they find a way to win games. And over the weekend, they beat a pretty good team, pretty easily on the road. With the schedule entering tougher and tougher ACC play for the Hokies over the weeks following this, (uh, good luck against Boston College?) I’m beginning to feel comfortable with the notion that the Hokies will play in the ACC championship. They have perpetually great leadership behind the two-headed Beamer-Foster monster, and at this point they are competing only with a Georgia Tech, a team that I would predict will face trouble throughout the remainder of the season against great squads. The game in Atlanta will do the talking for both of these teams however, in a few weeks.


Chris: I said last week that this team is growing on me and I am really beginning to like them. The problem with that is that this team changes almost every week. The defense has lost four starters in the last three weeks. Not just any starters but guys who were expected to have big years on the defensive side of the ball. Defensive tackle Antoine Hopkins and linebacker Jeron Gouveia-Winslow are both out for the rest of the season. Defensive end James Gayle and potential All-American corner Jayron Hosley are both injured and a timetable isn't set for either's return though it is not expected to end their seasons. The Miami defense was able to run well against the Virginia Tech defense I think largely due to the injuries sustained early in the game, the injuries to Gayle and Gouveia-Winslow. Given a week of practice Virginia Tech's defense played poorly early but from the second quarter on played as well as they had all season. In the first quarter Virginia Tech's defense gave up 139 yards, through the other three quarters Virginia Tech gave up 181 yards. That helped erase an early 10-0 Wake Forest lead to give the Hokies a solid victory and to make them bowl eligible. I love being bowl eligible. 


3. Georgia Tech (LW 2) (6-1)


Mitch: A set back due to poor passing, but I still think the Jackets are a good team and execute well. Their match-up against Virginia Tech will determine the winner of the Coastal.


Chris: Georgia Tech's offense has been slowing down the past few weekends and it caught up to them against UVA. I didn't watch every minute of this game but when I was tuned in I saw more tackles in Georgia Tech's backfield then I have ever seen with this Georgia Tech's offense. I don't know if UVA picked something up on film or if Georgia Tech just had an off day but I hope that this is a turn for Georgia Tech's offense. The passing game has slowed down and they only mustered 24 passing yards and had two interceptions against a UVA defense that is not filled with world beaters. Because of their option attack Georgia Tech can be the most dangerous offense in the ACC. (Sorry Clemson fans, I know you have a great offense but this is the only offense designed to keep your offense off the field) I hope that Georgia Tech's offense is trending down and has lost some of their explosiveness. 


4. Wake Forest (LW 5) (4-2)


Pat: There are two teams in the ACC that, to me, look a lot like each other. This is one and Virginia is the other(and no, not because Virginia was able to dethrone Georgia Tech, much like Wake was able to dethrone FSU the previous week. Take a look at my preseason power rankings on Virginia). They’re both of mediocre caliber that can come out and beat teams based on their consistent play. Wake fans were up for this game against the Hokies, and rightfully so, but was that a fantasy? In my estimation, of course. Florida State is weaker than original proclamations suggested and Wake was a throw away team the Friday before playing FSU. The next week, they’re making headlines while the Hokies were salivating for positive recognition in THEIR conference. Let me say it again, THEIR conference. Compared to Florida State, Virginia Tech isn’t a flop and was ready to play the average caliber, yet still wonderfully coached and fantastically disciplined Demon Deacons. Result? Expected.


Chris: I was impressed with Wake Forest even in their loss 38-17 loss to Virginia Tech. Wake jumped out to an early 10-0 lead and it didn't seem like the Hokies defense would be able to stop them. The first drive the Deacons' offense moved the ball well on the ground moving in the field goal territory and coming away with three points. Two drives later, on the first play of the drive quarterback Tanner Price connected with Chris Givens on a 79-yard touchdown pass beating a hobbling Jayron Hosley. Virginia Tech obviously rallied from their but it wasn't door to poor play on Wake's part. Even the interception late in the first half was due to a defender getting a hand on Price's arm while he was throwing and the ball came out funny. He didn't make a lot of poor decisions or mistakes that cost his team. Wake Forest still beat Florida State but the rest of their wins might be a little more suspect. They play North Carolina in two weeks and we will see a little bit more about this team then. 


5. FSU/Miami (FSU LW Tied for 7th/Miami LW 6) (FSU 3-3/Miami 3-3)


Mitch: I know, I know I have them ranked higher than Wake and they lost to wake. But this team is not the same team without EJ Manual. I think Florida State could beat any team in this conference with a healthy team. But that's not how it works. 


Pat: It’s hard for me to promote this team with any new-found glory based on their thrashing of Duke. Because, it’s Duke. Mitch was concerned about this game, but I have to ask why? Yeah, Florida State was over-ranked at the beginning of the season, but they’re still talented. The biggest concerns for the Seminoles right now are the running game and defense, which isn’t going to make you lose to a team like Duke, but it does make you extremely one-dimensional and I do predict, throughout the rest of the season, the surprises for Florida State are done. They won’t surprise or get surprised because they fit way too nicely in the bottom half of the ACC… and like it or not, that’s the honest truth we all should’ve seen Week 1. They just aren’t that good. Then again, Duke is 10 times worse. You ready?...6-6.



Chris: I was really impressed with Miami in this win. They went into Chapel Hill (Not the most intimidating crowd but still a crowd) and jumped out to an early lead that they were able to hold onto for the rest of the game. Miami went into halftime with a 27-10 halftime lead and that 27 points would be all they needed as the final score was 30-24 in the Canes favor. Someone needs to make sure this is actually Jacory Harris as Harris threw for 267 yards on 20-30 passing with three touchdowns and zero interceptions. ZERO interceptions!! Harris has not thrown an interception in his last three games. The last time he threw a pick was against Kansas State, a team that is currently undefeated and making noise on a national level. Miami seems to be a different team on Golden and Jacory seems to be a different player under Golden as well, someone just needs to make sure its the same person. 


Mitch: I think the Canes believe in Al Golden and he believes in them. They are playing well right now. Not sure they have the depth to compete at the top of the conference, but they certainly looked confident and played with conviction against the Heels. 


7. UNC (LW 4) (5-2)


Pat: For me, this was the game for UNC that defined exactly who Carolina is as a team. The way they match-up against formidable teams, the talent they have at each position, and the prospect for where they’ll finish in the ACC. Here’s what I think about Carolina…Outside of Dwight Jones, arguably the best player on the team, they’re collectively youthful. I hear a lot of Carolina fans grumbling about Bryn Renner’s inconsistencies, pretty much the same ones that hated Harrison Barnes (Editor's note: First Carolina basketball reference!!! Made it all the way to mid-October this year!) four games into last season and the one’s that wanted to hang T.J. Yeatts. Yes, it does take a season or two for a 4-star quarterback to mature and by that standard, the kid is playing great. Also, the Tarheels really have to make some corrections at defensive back to solidify themselves as a top contender in the ACC. There are way too many 3rd and 15 conversions and massive holes in the secondary. Make that lone correction, and UNC plays for the ACC title NEXT year (Editor's note: Must not respond...too easy). But, for this year I say 3rd in the Coastal.

Mitch: I think this is what happens when coaching turnover and NCAA investigations get into a program. They have talent but I don't think a team can weather such drama. I want to say it's not their fault, but in some ways it is. 

8. UVA (LW Tied for 7th) (4-2)


Chris: Good for UVA. I didn't see this coming but this is about what we should expect from this UVA team. They have a good coach but not quite the talent to compete with the top tier of the ACC every week, yet. I do believe they will get their but this weekend proves this team can play well. They are currently 4-2 and should get wins over NC State and Duke to become bowl eligible. The problem is they could lose either of those two games. The good thing is they could beat one of the other four teams they won't be favored to beat, Miami, Maryland, FSU and Virginia Tech. 


Pat: Like the Demon Deacons, Virginia is a team that is going to come out and give it their all against good competition. They aren’t overly talented, but take Georgia Tech’s word for it, you better come to play. This is not a team that will blow anyone out, not even Idaho or Southern Missouri, but they are good enough to give you a run for your money. They are less consistent as far as disciplined ball control is concerned, but still, they don’t make a significant amount of mistakes to determine winning or losing on a boneheaded play. Virginia will not finish the season this high in the rankings, but for now, beating the unbeatable option gives them the clout to enjoy their standing as the only team to have done this, so far. Nice job Cavalier's defensive coordinator.


9. Maryland (LW 9) (2-4)


Mitch: They play in all kinds of crazy games. Lots of points, wild comebacks and complete failures. It's never the same team, but this new quarterback has moxie and I applaud Edsall for giving him a shot and trying to find something that works. In other news they scored 45 points on the conference leader... The ACC ladies and gentlemen.


Pat: I’m not sure where this team will end up in the composite rankings, but for reference, I have them at 9th. I have them at 9th and will preface the review of this team by saying this…They’d be underrated at 6th. Now, how in the HELL does that make sense? It’s because Maryland may be the most inconsistent team in the ACC. They were a half a quarter and a Gatorade bottle filled with “tacklin’ fuel” away from beating the best team in the ACC. They’ve only played one game at home, so I say this with little comparison, they play pretty well at home. My question to them is, how do you play such great games against the Miamis and the Clemsons (and let’s not forget how well they finished the game against Ga. Tech), but fall on your face against Temple? I don’t understand this team, but I’m afraid of them. Honestly.


10. Duke (LW 10) (3-3)


Chris: Duke is at the bottom of this power ranking for a reason. I think they are improved from the past few years but they aren't their yet. They normally reside at the bottom of the power rankings so I think a move up to 10th is a solid move for Duke (it's the small things). That being said I think Duke will get a win we don't expect from them during the rest of the season. They will not get the three they need to be bowl eligible but they will get one and continue to grow going into next season. 


Mitch: Cutcliffe is a good coach and is doing things at Duke. Just glad he isn't doing the kinds of things Jim Grobe is doing at Wake.


11. NC State (LW 11) (3-3)


Mitch: They played and won against Central Michigan by two touchdowns. I'm sure they needed that win. In other news, they wore all black uniforms, throwback helmets from the "Chuck the Chest" era and had pink numbers to support breast cancer awareness. It was as hideous as it sounds.





Pat: I hope I don’t offend anyone by saying this because I have cherished loved ones who are State fans… I am an admitted UNC fan. I’m sorry for that, but I am. Went to school there. I hate Duke, but I respect them probably more than any other ACC team outside my own. I would probably sleep better at night if Miami fell apart as a university, but I think I share that sentiment with everyone in the nation who doesn’t touch their thumbs together, idiotically. But, whether it’s football, basketball, academics, or the town of Raleigh, itself…I have the least respect for NC State compared to any other school in the NCAA, in all areas as far as Universities are charted (You read that correctly). It’s not a question of rivalry, or hatred because their always stiff competition. It’s more the fact that their irrelevance in anything is only outweighed by their arrogance in everything…(and not the UNC type arrogance, because guys, that shit is annoying too). To me, when NC State has a bad team, they have a bad team for 11 games of the season, only caring about the "Tarheel Superbowl" I think many of them refer to it as. Valvono, may he rest in peace, and I have a lot of respect for as a human, but as a basketball coach, because, well, guys your deity was a crook. Like Nixon type crookery. Face it, basketball, football, academics…you guys closest rival is Davidson. So give it up… But, off the prefacing soapbox, I have to wholeheartedly admit. I was really, really hoping you guys were going to be good this year. I said that in my preseason rankings and with every blow to the team, a little part of me dies. I am completely sympathetic to the football team this year, only because I wanted them to do well. I’m honestly glad you guys didn’t lose this week. And though it may look like one, that isn’t intended as a backhanded comment. I sincerely hope the Wolfpack can turn around this bottoming out.  But, God, please hold off on the annoying trashtalking until something in the university is prosperous. Like, anything. Like, if you guys have the best garbage collection crew in the country this year, then you can trash talk. But you guys and Cubs fans should realize you’re impotence and reanalyze you’re fan decision-making abilities. It’s not too late…I hear Boise State is taking applications.


12. Boston College (LW 12) (1-5)


Pat: There’s no shame in forfeiting the rest of the season…You ever heard the old adage "beating a dead horse"? That’s all I can do when commenting on your performance. And, I hate doing that. So, just call off the season and begin next year’s practice early… You guys need it.


Chris: I don't have anything more to say about Boston College this season so I will be using this space to discuss other things around the program, university and city of Boston. Boston College has constructed a Doug Flutie statue outside of their stadium, commemorating Flutie's iconic Hail Mary pass that beat Miami in 1984. And that's your Boston College recap. 


Agree? Disagree? Just want to join in on the witty banter? Join us in the comments section and tell us your thoughts. If you have questions or topics you want discussed on The Sports Party email us at thesportsparty@gmail.com. Thanks for your continued support of the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment