Tuesday, October 11, 2011

ACC Power Rankings: Week 7

We have hit the midpoint of the college football season and the rankings look much different than they did back in Week 1. Florida State has fallen from #1 in the preseason to 7th in the TSPPR (assisted a lot by Mitch's last place ranking). Wake Forest was tied for 11th, the last spot, in our original rankings but now found themselves at #5 and tied for the Atlantic Division lead. We have learned a lot through the first six weeks of the season and will obviously learn a lot more through the next six. Here are your Week 6 The Sports Party Power Rankings.
  
   Chris                                 Mitch                               Pat
1. Clemson                        1. Clemson                       1. Clemson
2. Georgia Tech                 2. Georgia Tech                 2. Georgia Tech
3. Virginia Tech                 3. Wake Forest                  3. UNC
4. UNC                             4. UNC                              4. Virginia Tech
5. Wake Forest                 5. Virginia Tech                  5. Wake Forest
6. Florida State                 6. Duke                              6. Miami
7. Miami                           7. Maryland                        7. Florida State
8. UVA                             8. Miami                             8. UVA
9. Maryland                      9. UVA                               9. NC State
10. Duke                        10. NC State                       10. Maryland
11. NC State                  11. Boston College              11. Duke
12. Boston College         12. Florida State                  12. Boston College


Power Rankings
1. Clemson (LW 1)(6-0)


Pat: This "bye" week for the Tigers will carry them into the next three weeks. They are the undisputed front runner of the ACC but the schedule coming up will be the toughest for them throughout. Heading to Maryland next week won’t be as fun as the Terps play well in College Park. Then back to South Carolina against the Tarheels and then to Atlanta. I’m calling it, through this stretch Clemson will have AT LEAST one loss. I wouldn’t push the envelope to two loses but I think you’ll see Dabo show up in the next three games and a loss will happen. Thank God, Tajh Boyd’s injury will be immediate and not long-lasting.

Mitch: They have the talent, a coach who knows how to use the talent even if he isn't considered a great coach, and they have learned how to win. The last is the most important. they take chances because they know how each other play. Good for them.


2. Georgia Tech (LW 2)(6-0)


Chris: I have yet to go back and watch this game but I am hoping this game was close because Maryland figured out to stop the Georgia Tech offense. It seems that it was much closer to Mitch predicted last week on TSPPR and Georgia Tech got too cute on offense and tried to throw the ball too much. They finished 6-21 passing for 114 yards. This is more passing attempts than any other game this season and the fewest passing yards of any game. My hope is that Georgia Tech keeps trying to be cute on offense and allows Virginia Tech to slip back into the top of the Coastal Division. 


Pat: Too little, too late for the Terrapins on Saturday as they held Georgia Tech to an atypical 386 yard. Put 3 more minutes on the clock and this game could’ve ended a little different as the Maryland began to surge in the 4th quarter. I don’t count this as a stumble though, just because they started with a 21-3 lead and who wouldn't relax a little after that. The games for the Jackets will get progressively worse throughout the next four games though.

3. UNC (LW 5)(5-1)


Pat: What a boring game! 0-0 at halftime and, thanks to a couple of missed field-goals to a subpar Cardinal team, the Tarheels finished up with a 14-7 lead. I don’t buy into the scoreboard/stat line too much though. The Tarheels’ concerns right now is on the upcoming schedule. Well, that and the fact that they’re really young. Their youth, I feel, plays into the on-field display. Youth and inconsistency go hand-in-hand. But when they play well, they play really well. And, of course, the on-field talent is supreme. Next week is Miami, and I think after this game the Tarheels will finally, inevitably, become a Top-25 team.


Mitch: The fourth (Editors Note: Turned out to be the third) best team in the ACC fired their head coach immediately before the season started. This conference is absolute trash. The mediocrity creates fun games to watch against one another, but other than that, the top three are average to good teams who are unique stories. Good for them. I don't think I care anymore.

4. Virginia Tech (LW 4)(5-1)


Pat: I’m a purist, a traditionalist. When something is going well and begins to decompose, I’ll be the last to admit it. So, I’ll be the last to admit this because I think a lot of people are beginning to sell the Hokies. Like it or not, they’re struggling. No, no, no, don’t get me wrong…Miami is a deceptive team. With all that's surrounding the program and the possibility that they have the most overrated quarterback in the history of sports figures, Miami isn’t easy to defeat. But, Blacksburg is an arena Tom Brady would be nervous to face. This game should’ve been all but wrapped up going into the 4th quarter, but with a final minute to play, VT was desperate to regain the lead. Mostly because the defensive line might as well have been playing from the sidelines. The defense is becoming an issue for Virginia Tech and, for fun, I’d like for you to think about the last time that was the case in Blacksburg.

Chris: Pat is selling and I am buying this team. Yes, we were up 21-7 at halftime and blew that lead. The defense allowed 28 2nd-half points and 519 total yards, 236 of which came on the ground. That is an issue. I am not worried though. This defense held the impressive Clemson offense to just over 300 yards and 24 points in a loss. This defense will work very hard this week and I trust Bud Foster to not allow anything close to 500 yards again this season. (I think it's only happened 6 times with Bud as defensive coordinator) What gets me excited about this team is that Logan Thomas came to play. He had a very tough week against Clemson passing for 125 yards on 15-27 passing with an interception. The offense obviously looked bad and his lack of success led to that. The media and fans doubted him but he obviously learned from the game and played AMAZING against Miami. Thomas' final stats were 23-25 passing for 310 yards and three touchdowns. On the ground he added another 28 yards on 11 carries and two more touchdown, the second touchdown coming with 56 seconds to play and gave the Hokies the 38-35 lead. That will probably be the best statistical game of Thomas' career in Blacksburg, but if Thomas can play somewhere in the middle or higher to his play the last two weeks he will be a heck of a quarterback. Also, the crowd was nuts for the end of this game. Lane Stadium was loud. 



5. Wake Forest (LW 6)(4-1)


Pat: Told ya… But, I’ll be the first to say this… We were wrong about Florida State. Or, maybe we were right in saying they are annual underachievers. Even so, Wake may not have five star talent, but they have good leadership in Jim Grobe.


Mitch: They execute their plays. They don't make mistakes and they wait to capitalize on the mistakes of others. Florida State made ten between turnovers and penalties. FSU still scored 30, but they gave up 35 again. How does this defense have so much talent and end up being so bad?


6. Miami (LW 7)(2-3)


Chris: Jacory Harris threw zero interceptions against this Virginia Tech defense and the team rushed for 236 yards. Both surprise me because of Virginia Tech's defense but only one has a chance of happening again this season. Guess? (Hint: I mean the rushing yards) The defense for Miami didn't look great. It hurts me to write that because I have already stated that I was really impressed by Logan Thomas, but I think that defense hurts Miami a couple more times this season. I expect them to drop from this 7th spot. 


Mitch: Poor Al Golden (that's how I am going to start all Miami power ranking sentences). He is in a mess with some poor players. It was possible they could eek out a few wins this year before the poor recruiting and sanctions hit, but seriously, he's screwed.


7. Florida State/UVA (Florida State LW 3/UVA LW Tied for 8)(Florida State 2-3/UVA 3-2)


Mitch: The process failed. Jimbo failed. His message has failed. He has all control and has all the decision making and he has failed. FUJF for not playing EJ to start and then for going away from the run. Fisher's planning seems good most of the time, but his in game adjustments are terrible. Sound the alarm. The sky is falling and not because we are bad but because our players don't trust our coach anymore. His vision has failed and so why should they follow him? Further, his in your face bullshit is wearing thin. I would tell him to stick it if he pulled it on me, at this point. His only hope is admitting failure, telling the players he needs them, and to play on their desire to not lose to Duke. Otherwise his process nonsense (as dictated by the results) will not inspire players to win.


Pat: To any fans I doubt I have, I apologize. At some point in the preseason I should have stopped and looked at my notes and thought, “wait, we’re talking about Florida State, their highest ranking of the season always comes in spring practice”. But lets be fair, it isn't their fault. Wake is a good team this year. The only surprise that came out of the game against the Demon Deacons is that the Seminoles had two weeks to game plan. It excites me to say, Florida State isn't as good as we thought they were.



Chris: UVA didn't play last weekend so it's hard to bring you some hard hitting analysis but if they didn't seem to improve over their first five games of the season. They play Georgia Tech this weekend and I don't expect them to win, BUT if the team doesn't look better than they did before the bye then I would be a worried Wahoo. You always want your team to be improving that's a sign of good coaching. Let's see what UVA gives us this weekend. 


Mitch: I know nothing about UVA,  but I do know that I have lost almost all faith in Jimbo. I don't hate him because that'd be stupid but this humiliating loss requires soul searching. Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results is insanity. Right now the process is insanity... but Jimbo will just say we need execute better.


9. Maryland (LW Tied for 8)(2-3)


Pat: In the fourth quarter, this game became surprisingly close on the scoreboard and stat-line. Unfortunately, it wasn’t enough for a fourth quarter comeback. The Terrapins just keep coming up short late against top 25 teams. They’ll keep coming up short in the coming weeks.


Chris: Maryland pushed Georgia Tech in the fourth quarter but like Pat said too little, too late. Maryland is my biggest disappointment this season. We should have seen it coming though, 9 wins last year for a team playing for their embattled head coach. The coach is fired, players feelings are hurt, a new coach is hired and the heart of the team is hurt. I am not suggesting they aren't playing hard but this is not the same Maryland team as last year. Needless to say I think they miss the Fridge. 


10. Duke (LW 10)(3-2)


Chris: I cannot picture in my mind Duke beating Florida State this weekend. I just can't do it. Wake Forest I could and while still surprised, wasn't shocked. Duke though has played well up to this point in the season. They have two weeks to prepare for Florida State and if, and that's a big IF, they can beat Florida State this could be the big win this Duke program has needed for years. It won't happen though and the EJ Manuel led Seminoles beat Duke. 


Mitch: I think they'll beat FSU this weekend. They at least believe in their coach.


11. NC State (LW 11)(3-3)


Mitch: Hahahahahahahahhaha you're still losing and Russell Wilson is still winning. (I don't think I have any room to talk about not winning)


Chris: Through four years and the first six game of this season at NC State, Tom O'Brien is 28-28. This wouldn't seem that bad if it felt like this program was improving, but it isn't. I haven't seen a lot of buzz around O'Brien being fired but after five seasons of .500 play, no ACC titles or even playing in the ACC Championship, it might be time for a change in Raleigh. 


12. Boston College (LW 12)(1-5)


Pat: How’d you guys do last week? Score at all? Wow, I’m impressed by the way you mask your futility.


Chris: This really is the hardest team to write about because they are that bad. Next week I might possible put nothing down for this team. Their offense is ranked 102nd in total offense and 105th in points scored at 19.5 a game. Their defense is statistically much better and is ranked 26th in yards allowed but 60th in points allowed with 25.7 per game. Oh Boston College you sad, sad football team. 

Agree? Disagree? Just want to join in on the witty banter? Join us in the comments section and tell us your thoughts. If you have questions or topics you want discussed on The Sports Party email us at thesportsparty@gmail.com. Thanks for your continued support of the site. 

No comments:

Post a Comment